Once the New York Yankees were eliminated in the American League wild card game, it was clear that the theme of this postseason was going to be one of redemption. Of the eight teams in the Division Series (other than the St. Louis Cardinals), the Toronto Blue Jays were the team that had most recently won the World Series, and that was back in 1993. Last night, the Kansas City Royals ended their 30-year World Series drought by extending the New York Mets' streak of not winning the Series to 29 years.
Even so, the reaction from a number of teams is legitimately, "cry me a river." Here are a list of the teams that have gone the longest without a World Championship:
ORIGINAL 16 MAJOR LEAGUE FRANCHISES
- Chicago Cubs: Last won in 1908. Last appeared in 1945. You may have heard about this.
- Cleveland Indians: Last won in 1948. Last appeared in 1997.
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Last won in 1979. Last appeared in 1979.
- Baltimore Orioles: Last won in 1983. Last appeared in 1983.
- Detroit Tigers: Last won in 1984. Last appeared in 2012.
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Last won in 1988. Last appeared in 1988.
- Oakland Athletics: Last won in 1989. Last appeared in 1990.
- Cincinnati Reds: Last won in 1990. Last appeared in 1990.
- Minnesota Twins: Last won in 1991. Last appeared in 1991.
- Atlanta Braves: Last won in 1995. Last appeared in 1999.
- Chicago White Sox: Last won in 2005. Last appeared in 2005.
- Philadelphia Phillies: Last won in 2008. Last appeared in 2009.
- New York Yankees: Last won in 2009. Last appeared in 2009.
- St. Louis Cardinals: Last won in 2011. Last appeared in 2013.
- Boston Red Sox: Last won in 2013. Last appeared in 2013.
- San Francisco Giants: Last won in 2014. Last appeared in 2014.
- Texas Rangers: Never won (franchise established in 1961 as the Washington Senators). Last appeared in 2011.
- Houston Astros: Never won (franchise established in 1962). Last appeared in 2005.
- Milwaukee Brewers: Never won (franchise established in 1969 as the Seattle Pilots). Last appeared in 1982.
- San Diego Padres: Never won (franchise established in 1969). Last appeared in 1988.
- Washington Nationals: Never won (franchise established in 1969 as the Montreal Expos). Never appeared.
- Seattle Mariners: Never won (franchise established in 1977). Never appeared.
- New York Mets: Last won in 1986 (franchise established in 1962). Last appeared in 2015.
- Toronto Blue Jays: Last won in 1993 (franchise established in 1977). Last appeared in 1993.
- Colorado Rockies: Never won (franchise established in 1993). Last appeared in 2007.
- Tampa Bay Rays: Never won (franchise established in 1998). Last appeared in 2008.
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Last won in 2001 (franchise established in 1998). Last appeared in 2001.
- Los Angeles Angels: Last won in 2002 (franchise established in 1961). Last appeared in 2002.
- Miami Marlins: Last won in 2003 (franchise established in 1993). Last appeared in 2003.
- Kansas City Royals: Last won in 2015 (franchise established in 1969). Last appeared in 2015.
So yeah, it's a bummer being a Mets fan today. But 11 of the 30 teams in the majors have been waiting longer for a World Series championship team, including three (the Cubs, Indians, and Senators/Rangers) who've been waiting longer than the Mets have existed.